Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wiccan Headstones

As my darling wife as pointed out to me, the VA has just changed its policy on head stones. Now, the Wiccan symbol will be allowed as a headstone, added to the other 38 symbols that were previously allowed. Yahoo News has the whole article.

To be honest, I was not really sure what to think about it at first, but after thinking it over, I don't know why the VA wanted to fight this at all. All i can think of it that if you put whatever you want up, you can use it to make political statements (since the gravestone is sometimes chosen by the family if its not clear). Even so, any religious symbol should be allowed on the headstone if you made it to the national cemetary. Its not for the VA or the US Government to judge what what is an appropriate marker of anyone's religious beliefs.

**UPDATE**

On further reflection, I am not sure why you arn't allowed to put up anything you want on your tombstone in the National Cemetary. I mean to get to the National Cemetary you certainly gave your life so why is the symbol you want to leave for the rest of the world controversial? IMAO makes light up some other symbols but in all seriousness, shouldn't i be able to put up what i want? Maybe i do want a Batman symbol up, perhaps I want to have another cross besides the normal one, say a Crusader's Cross. Its my flippin tombstone, shouldn't I decide whats on it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home