Tuesday, April 17, 2007

When i come home...

I was thinking it over and there are 2 things that I want to upgrade when i get back home from what i am currently working with.

The first is that I need a new laptop, pretty badly. My apple is now well over 2 years old and the desert has not been kind to it. The power cord is fraying and the battery is now non-existant. Add on to that the G4 is now pretty obsolete since apple now uses intel chips, i still can't find good software, and it crashes 2x a week (losing the date and time) it seems like now is about the time to let it go. The current front runner is the HP 6000 model with the Intel Dual Core 2 chip. Seems like a beast, we will see in about 4 months.

The second thing i want to upgrade is the personal hygiene. Most specifically the facial area. Obviously if you know me, you already know i take great pride in my shaving and i want to continue that and improve upon that and also work with some better cleaning and moisturizing. So in that vein, i have picked out a new shaving brush, soap, and razor that i want to get, and i'll be looking for better facial cleaners in the near future.

The razor being the most familar thing to most people, lets start with that. The one i want isn't new at all, and you can only get it on ebay. I want a Gillette Fat Boy razor. Why a razor thats 50 years old, no longer made, and similar to my Merkur Classic? Well, from all accounts i can read, there are two big types of double edge razors, the Merkur and the Gillettes. The Merkurs are supposed to be the slightly closer shave and the Gillettes a little less aggressive. The fat boy would give me a different kind of DE so i could find what i like best. It also has the advantage of being adjustable, which is pretty cool. I want something with a polished and classic feel so this seems to fit the bill, and its pretty cheap in ebay!

The brush i am looking for I havn't really made up my mind yet. Its hard because you are going totally on reviews and you can't try it out and take it for a test shave. The current ones in my mind are the ShaveMacs and the Superior brand brushes. The shavemacs are from Germany and are beautiful handles ones. I would get it in the best or the finest grade as i don't wanna spend huge amount of money for a silvertip, plus i like a little scruff from the brush. The Superiors are a small company in the US and they do the cool thing of making the handles individually out of Corin (used to make counter tops). Really cool idea and its totally unique. The prices are similar at about 50-65 a brush plus shipping. If anyone reading this is a shaving guru and wants to weigh in, advice is appreciated.

The last shaving item i want to get is a better soap. I am currently using the 1 dollar a cake soap from William's. Hey it was available at the PX. This might be the easiest way to get a better shave and the choices are from the 5 dollar ones from Classic Shaving to the 25 dollar soaps. Current ideas are to try one in the 12 dollar range. Luxury soap sounds cool to work with.

I'll probably get more used to better facial cleaning but i don' t know what to use for that so much right now but the Nivea for Men Double Action Face Wash really makes my face feel better. There has to be better than mass produced Target stuff if you look for it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Classic Shaving said...

Shaving using the straight razors or double edge razors means giving myself the closest shave possible. Plus, it is also giving myself time to unwind. I could say that most of the time, I get my wonderful ideas while shaving. Thanks for sharing!

1/15/2011 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home